That is how many three and a half inch bronze screws hold the centreboard case into Spark. Today, after cleaning it all up, repairing it, and varnishing it to a high lustre, I re-installed it, by hand, with a straight slot screwdriver. My wrists are sore, but the dirty deed is done. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish primering the bottom so I can get her painted this week.
While I am sure I could have reused the old screws, they had not turned red from copper, It was worth the price of admission to safe than sorry. Having the centreboard case come loose while sailing would be a nightmare.
I know it looks really bad under there, but rest assured that most of that is just dirt. Spark needs a bath badly as I did not get a chance to scrub out the inside of her hull last year before putting her in the water.. so that is 30 years worth of grime.
Even so, I had to scrape out the old Polysulfide sealant that spent decades keeping the water out of spark. First by sharp scraper than by battery powered sander until everything was smooth and ready for some "lifecalk"
After I got everything cleaned up, I had to use the jack to my land rover to get the case into place. It's not that heavy, but it is awkward and I was working alone. The Hydraulic jack lifted it into position easily so I could get the screws in.
Due to repairs to the case, I had to drill pilot holes to the first two screws. I damn near twisted my arms off getting them in. It is good that I bought twenty-five screws as I ruined two of them installing these two. Now I only have one left. I hope I never have to use it
Once Spark is upright again, I will show off the case in situ, for now I can only offer this brief snap shop showing the freshly varnished mahogany nearly glowing in the sunlight.